Commercial traffic is important to the Kansas Turnpike and to Kansas' economy. As part of our ten-year Long Term Needs Study, we’re making changes to designed to increase safety, improve experience and keep truckers moving. Watch this video to learn more about these improvements.
The Kansas Turnpike Authority allows single, tandem and triple trailer combinations that are less than 125 feet in length and less than 8.5 feet wide to operate 24 hours a day with the following exceptions and restrictions:
Oversize / overweight vehicle operators can find routing permits here. Information about specific road construction, restrictions and general road conditions can be found here. To speak to customer service about routing, call Central Permits at (785) 368-6501.
Maximum Axle and Gross Weights
Maximum Gross Weight = 80,000 lbs.
Maximum Gross Weight = 120,000 lbs.
- Any vehicle or combination of vehicles, trailer(s) or load(s) exceeding 125 feet in length requires pre-authorization by KTA. Night operation of these loads will not be authorized except in emergency or disaster situations.
- Tandem and triple trailers are discouraged – and may be restricted – during inclement weather.
- Vehicles and/or loads more than 14 feet in height will be denied entry until a Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper can measure the load to authorize or deny travel.
- Any vehicle or load activating an over height detector when entering the Kansas Turnpike is required to stop and cannot proceed until authorized to do so by a Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper.
- Vehicles and/or loads up to 12 feet wide can use the Kansas Turnpike during daylight hours without restrictions.
- Any vehicle or load exceeding 12 feet in width requires pre-authorization by KTA. Night operation of these loads will not be authorized except in emergency or disaster situations.
- Vehicles and/or loads more than 8.5 feet wide may not travel the Kansas Turnpike during the nighttime hours. Night operation of these loads will not be authorized except in emergency or disaster situations.
- Movement of vehicles that are more than 14 feet wide is restricted to Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. At least one escort vehicle is required to accompany the movement of loads that are more than 14 feet wide.
- Vehicles and/or loads exceeding 16 feet wide will rarely be authorized for any operation on the Kansas Turnpike.
- All mobile homes must comply with the length, height and width guidelines above.
- All mobile homes must be towed by a truck-tractor designed and equipped to tow mobile homes. Towing of more than one mobile home at any one time by a single power unit is not permitted.
- All movement of mobile homes must comply with state rules and regulations regarding flags, lights, signing and insurance requirements.
- Special permits from KDOT are not required to move oversized loads on the Kansas Turnpike.
- Movement of any oversized loads must comply with Kansas laws governing authority, insurance, lights, flags, signs, placards and safety equipment.
- It is the responsibility of the driver of any oversized vehicle and/or load to determine if the toll plaza has adequate space for the safe entry and exit of the vehicle and/or load.
- Movement of some or all oversized vehicles and/or loads may be temporarily restricted due to weather, road or construction conditions.