Salary Range: $20.129 - $22.642 Hourly
Kansas Turnpike Authority $1,500 Sign-on Bonus: available to new full-time employees who meet the eligibility requirements
Definition and Examples of Work
- Operates trucks, tractors, rollers, tractor mowers, and other pieces of equipment in the maintenance and repair of roads and landscape.
- Operates a motor grader in digging and opening ditches, grading shoulders and slopes, and other rough grading.
- Operates bulldozer in clearing right of way, backfilling, and performing other grading or moving work.
- Operates a motor roller in rolling newly constructed or resurfaced roads, and in packing down base for surfacing material.
- Operates a distributor on new construction or on resurfacing projects.
- Operates smaller bulldozers and tractors in leveling and maintenance of landscapes, cuts grass and repairs fences.
- Operates front end loader and loads materials and performs minor maintenance and repair work on equipment.
- Performs manual labor such as loading and unloading materials, cleaning ditches and culverts, shoveling snow, building and repairing fence and cleaning walks, related to the operation of equipment.
- Removes animal remains from roadway.
- Additional duties may be assigned as business needs require.
- Responsible for inspecting and servicing vehicles/equipment to ensure safe operation.
Latitude and Impact of Position
This position works independently and as part of a team, including providing input and problem solving with others to complete tasks. Decision making is typically done in conjunction with others. Successful completion of job tasks impacts operating costs, internal system, customer satisfaction, external company image/liability.
The work environment described here is representative of the general work environment for the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily works in outdoor environment, with occasional work in shop/warehouse environment. Frequent driving between work sites is required.
- Works outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to highway traffic high heat, cold, wind, dust, high humidity (continuous).
- May frequently be exposed to moderate to loud noise, fumes, airborne particles, and chemicals; occasional exposure to chemicals.
- May occasionally work in confined, enclosed spaces, underground or elevated above the ground.
- May work in adverse weather conditions, such as icy and snowy conditions, for extended periods of time.
- Requires use of personal protective equipment as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of traffic regulations and practices followed in care and safe operation of trucks and light construction equipment.
- Knowledge of general practices in care and safe operation of construction and maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of principles of operation of motorized equipment sufficient to detect defective operation.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations pertaining to operation of equipment upon highways.
- Ability to service a motorized vehicle or equipment and to make minor running repairs.
- Ability to perform manual labor related to the operation of motorized equipment.
- Ability to operate various tools and equipment including hand and power tools, front end loader, skid steer, motor grader, dump truck, bulldozer etc.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction.
- Problem solving ability.
- Ability to work well with others.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Heavy equipment experience.
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance.
- Independent problem solving.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in the operation of trucks and light automotive equipment used in construction and maintenance work.
- Silica course.
- Required OSHA training.
Certification, License, Registration
- CDL Class A with tanker endorsement and air brakes
- CPR training
- Defensive driving
- OSHA classes
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires frequent movement including standing, walking, bending, twisting, turning, kneeling, and squatting.
- May occasionally reach overhead or climbs or balances on stairs or ladders.
- Must listen and hear people and equipment sounds (continuous)
- Uses hands to touch, handle or feel and requires repetitive gripping, grasping, pinching or squeezing (continuous)
- Use vibratory tools (occasional)
- Must use sense of taste or smell (occasional)
- Lifts, carries, pushes or pulls weight up to 50 pounds (frequent)
- Lifts, carries, pushes or pulls weight up to 100 pounds (occasional)
- Must see up close and at a distance, adjust focus, identify and distinguish colors or shapes, and use peripheral and depth perception (continuous)
- Must distinguish sound tones (continuous)
- Frequent daily travel along the turnpike.
- On call 24/7/365.
- On call for snow/ice removal.